Saturday, July 23, 2011

30 Day Idol Challenge Day 24

Day 24: An Idol that is not one of your favorites but you admit that they're good.

What does this even mean?

For my idol fandom, I have a tendency to pick favorites. And by favorites, I mean the #1 favorite idol that will rule all the other idols in my idol rankings, but I tend to do that by group. For example, Ishikawa Rika is miles above any other Morning Musume member ever. It's been changing a bit lately (in AKB48 fandom I love Oota Aika most, but Natori Wakana and Iwasa Misaki are pretty close, too), but I still do that. Furthermore, after the favorites then everyone tends to be pretty similarly ranked. For AKB48, I can do my top 10 members, but I can't rank all of them simply because I like all of them and don't want to put any one on the bottom.

So here, I have a lot of idols that aren't my favorites, but I like all of them. So how do I pick among the myriad of idols?



I have one cop-out answer and one real answer to this question, so I'll share both.

Cop-out:




SKE48 as a whole is my cop-out answer. The reason is that I love AKB48, and I follow them more than SKE48 or any of the xxx48 groups. However, I really like whatever I see of the members in SKE48. They all have nice personalities and in my opinion they're a much stronger group than AKB48 at least in terms of dancing. 1!2!3!4! Yoroshiku is one of my favorite PVs, and I love every bit of music I hear from them.

Yet, for whatever reason, I follow AKB48 more. Maybe it's part of the popularity thing, but if that was the case I couldn't have Momoiro Clover as my chosen favorite idol group. So while I don't know most of the girls in SKE48 (my favorites are Yagami Kumi and Matsui Jurina, two front girls), I really should follow them more, because SKE is quite a strong group in their own right.

However, since choosing a group for a singular idol might be considered cheating, I chose one.

Airi, if your jersey is referring to Rose Tyler from Doctor Who, we need to seriously be besties.

Even though my Hello!Project fandom is really being superseded by groups like Momoiro Clover and AKB48, I still follow all the groups somewhat, and I try to follow C-ute a lot. I'm mainly a fan of Yajima Maimi and Nakajima Saki when I follow C-ute and Hello!Project. 

HOWEVER, for the life of me I don't know why I don't follow Airi more. I mean, she's great; she seems like she has a sweet personality, she's cute, she's a good performer and singer. Honestly, even though I want Maimi and Nakky to get the most screentime because they're my favorites and my biases, I'm really fine with Airi being the C-ute front girl and have no problems with that at all. Recently on Hello!Online I said that the new Buono song needs more Airi, even though she has more lines than either Momoko or Miyabi, and I meant it. I quire like Airi, and approve of her hoarding lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment