Monday, August 15, 2011

Sekai Ichi HAPPY na Onna no Ko song/PV review

Here's just something straight away before I get to this. I a fond spot for C-ute; Maimi and Nakky are two of my favorite H!P members period, and two of the reasons I still follow C-ute news whenever I can. I like the other members too, though. This doesn't mean that I like everything that C-ute has ever released (can I just forget The Party now? *shudder*), it just means that I can tolerate something average more than I can tolerate with some other groups.

So alright, the reason that I'm reviewing this, my first H!P song/PV review in a while, is that I'm absolutely completely charmed by the song and PV, and to be honest, part of me doesn't know why. I think the components are well done, but the way I'm reacting is not the way that I've reacted to H!P in a while; the last song I reacted this way to was Reconquista.


The song: I really think that the way that someone looks at this song will honestly depend on what they're looking for in an idol song. To some, it may seem really generic, and I respect that. This is a pretty typical type of idol song that reminds me vaguely of S/Mileage's Suki-chan in terms of tone and style. If you're looking for something out there, completely unique, edgy or anything similar to that, Sekaiichi HAPPY na Onna no Ko is not the song for you. Some people will probably find this song boring. However, I LOVE cute idol music, and upbeat/happy songs are why I choose to listen to idol music (hence Happy Disco). Upbeat happy idol songs are the type of thing I listen to while walking to work or school that just make me feel happier, and this song fits the bill.

The first time I listened to it, I didn't really like the song except for the chorus; however, for me at least, it's one of those songs that has really grown on me. I think those are the songs that tend to be earworms for me; songs that start out uneventful but that I really start to like.

The song isn't perfect to me, though; the rushed line Maimi sings before the chorus feels kind of out of place and almost like Maimi herself can't get those words out. Also, is it just me, or does Chisato sound really weirdly high-pitched in the first verse?

I might be biased because of the songs I tend to like and the fact that the word "Happy" is so prominently placed: this song is now the theme song of Happy Disco (if someone mixes this song with Perfume's One Room Disco, I think I'll have to start a Happy Disco podcast to use it). Still, it's a fun, cute song that is exactly what I'm interested in. C-ute's moving in a... well, cuter direction (judging by this and Momoiro Sparkling) and I can't say I complain!

PV: The one thing that I like that kind of puzzles me is how much I really love the PV. It doesn't have a story, it's on one set in the standard white backdrop of H!P PVs. And yet...

I have to think of the PV as being a subversion of the other PVs H!P does. So many H!P PVs are really bland and colorless these days, set in the same set. However, the abundance of color in this PV seemingly coming from the idols in their idol rooms makes it seem like C-ute is adding color to this bland world. And cuteness!

The PV is gloriously colorful and I appreciate it for that. I also think that the little domino stunt they did with the books to make the word "happy" was really obvious but also really adorable, so I can forgive it. The idea of the girls all having their own different rooms is for some reason appealing to me; maybe it's because I love the PV for Perfume's One Room Disco so much (which is admittedly a far superior PV to this), but they could have easily made the PV with one backdrop, some closeups with different backgrounds based off their image color. This feels like some effort was made, which I have to appreciate.

The other part that's great is that the girls are really at their top game here. The one really notable thing about H!P groups nowadays (especially Berryz and C-ute) is that they've been around together for years, so they work off each other well, especially in the dancing and the group shot here.

The PV isn't the best that's ever existed ever, but it's fun and colorful, which makes it one of the better PVs H!P has released recently.

So overall, in my opinion, H!P managed to do a really great job here and I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment